Tuesday, May 6, 2008

8 embryos!

Wow, what a day. Justin and I were on our way to Atl for the transfer this morning and the nurse called to say the embryologist thought we should let the embryos develop to day 5. After a lot of confusion and discussion, we met with the embryologist and the doctor and decided to wait until day 5 to transfer. Today, all 8 embryos looked great. The embryologist estimated we'd have 50% embryos make it until Thursday. By waiting until the blastocyst stage, they can pick the embryos that look better (are of a genetically better makeup) and more likely to make a baby. They probably will recommend putting back 2 (instead of 3) since they will be of better quality.
Won't it be wild, if we have a child, to explain to them how their first 5 days of life were spent in a laboratory?
My lab results came back and there are some problems with 3 areas (thyroid antibodies, von willebrand factor, and fibronogen) so they will likely put me on a blood thinner during the pregnancy. We hope to conference with the hematologist in Thursday.
I'm beginning to feel like a human science experiment.
Rufus is not feeling well and is still in the hospital. Hopefully, he will come home tomorrow.
Go hug your loved one - and tell them how glad you are to have them!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Big hugs for you :)

Sandra said...

Lick back to Amy

Dallas said...

Today is a good day! Time for some babymaking!

I will research those three issues. I am really glad that Justin can be with you for all these appointments. I was worried about you going up there alone so much!

cynthia said...

I’ve got my fingers crossed x
for you, I hope the transfer went well.

I'll give you the hug later in person, but I'm glad to have you in my life. I love you!! Gorda Loca ;)!!